I’m kind of a liar.
A few months ago, someone who I had only known very briefly asked me what year I graduated from high school. I lied before I even really thought about it. I told him I was older than I am. For some reason I felt insecure that he would judge me, unworthy to have things {in my own life} figured out, (or maybe it was my ability to be a mother) if I admitted I was only 25. He was probably 5 years older than me, and therefore in my mind that particular afternoon, I deemed him much wiser, mature, and apparently judgmental.
Insecurities are ugly. And I’ve got plenty of them. I don’t ever want to deceive anyone to think I’m something I’m not.
I Worry. constantly some days about my daughter.
and I’ve been lying to myself too… trying to believe that it is okay to live in fear. For the first few months, it was, will she be taken away from me. With the whole birth mom/dad limbo that a lot of adoptive families are put in, things can get pretty scary those first weeks and months your baby is home with you. As much as you adore the tiny baby you are caring for night and day, in the back of your mind is always the unavoidable worry lurking. Could I really love this baby with my whole heart, and someone takes her away from me?
When those risks were over, of course I felt relief. For a while. And then I worked myself up to a whole new level of worry. What if something happens to her? From the get go of this parenting thing, I had one mission. Remember every single little detail. Take in every moment. Cherish her today… because you never know how long you will have her.
While that sounds really good, and nice on the outside… my ugly insecurities are looming on the inside.
I am preparing for disaster. on a regular basis. I get her dressed in the morning and the thought actually goes through my mind “what if this is the last thing she ever wears”. I feel panic stricken sometimes when she leaves me, or is even out of my sight. She had a fever once, and I felt like I couldn’t breathe because I was sure it would turn out badly. I look at the pictures I take of her, and wonder if someday that could be the only thing I have left.
See? It’s bad… and it sounds awful to even say it. ugh. {ugly, ugly insecurities I tell you} I have a very hard time believing this is my life now, because it is just too good to be true. Our adoption turned out, almost perfect in my mind. Larkin is healthy, beautiful and thriving. Life feels settled, and happy. And so, what do I do? I brace for impact because I am sure it will all come crashing down.
I could blame this on circumstance, but that isn’t completely the problem.
Some of the problem is age. I’m not 16 and invincible anymore. Life feels way too fragile to me now. Some of it is genetics. I come from a long line of worriers on my Dad’s side... Just trust me on that one. {crazy people}
Mostly, it’s lack of trust. complete trust in whatever God would have planned for her. For God alone, O my soul, wait in silence, for my hope is from him. He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be shaken- Psalm 62:5-6
I can confidently say I KNOW this. I know He is my fortress, and because he is, I shall not be shaken. I know it. The problem is, sometimes my mind strays from this truth, and my own human mind takes over; my worrying, crazy mama bear mind wins.
fear wins.
I know there are so many mom’s reading this, saying, oh yea that’s normal.
But still, it sucks.
I want to trust God when life is good, not just when it’s hard, and I have nothing to lose. I love her. a. lot. Like so much it takes my breath away sometimes. I can not fathom that God would entrust her to me for a minute, let alone a lifetime. But I will remember, that He did not give her to me so that one day my heart would be broken. He gave her to me with a responsibility to be her Mother, and for her to be a gift of joy.
6 comments:
1. post-traumatic stress comes up in crazy ways
2. good moms worry
3. It gets better...until they get older and you worry about how bad you screwed them up.
Hello Alissa! I don't know if you remember me, but my husband, Dan Stephany, was the youth pastor at Central Ref. Church around the time you were in high school. I (Melissa), worked w/ your mother-in-law at the bank and when everything happened w/ Jude she had emailed me to pray for you guys. I followed your story through your blog (I know--such a blog-stalker am I!), and have just been touched by your story. You have a beautiful way of just being yourself in your writing. Your post today really resonated w/ me b/c I went through the same fear as a young mom and still face some of those fears today with my 7 & 8 year old boys, although things have turned around considerably for me. I understand that DEEP love that you feel and the weight of the responsibility that you feel as a parent that it seems not all parents seem to "get" in today's culture. I feel like people don't take parenting seriously anymore--carting their kids off to other programs and things to "raise" their kids for them! I could go on and on! There were times that I would wake up in the night when my boys were little and just play through all the "what-if's" in my mind and would literally be controlled by them and couldn't get back to sleep. Then I read a book by Joyce Meyer called "In Pursuit of Peace" and it REALLY helped me to realize that my worry was really a lack of faith. :( And in my worry I was letting Satan win. Ugh. Anyway, I couldn't be silent and not respond to your post. I hope and pray that you'll get your hands on a copy of that book--it's truly life-changing. God bless you--you're doing a great job little Mamma. :)
Bottom line : You NEED to trust God that ALL of you are in the palm of HIS hand!!! Then, you need to enjoy EVERY minute!! They grow up waaay too fast. Embrace your fear and tell it WHO is in control then face it head on. You have better things to do than worry!! She is a precious baby girl and every moment with her in your arms should resonate in your should how FAITHFUL God is!!! oxoxxo
Hey Alissa -
I could totally relate to this post...I worry constantly and like the previous person said - I too lay awake many nights going thru all the what-if's. I thought it was just a part of being a mom, but then in the past week, I figured it out...I need to trust GOD! and not just say it, but actually trust Him! I have finally told myself that God is in control of all of our lives and whatever He has planned I will trust Him. I am going to find that book that the previous person mentioned and read it! You are a such a great mama and Larkin is such a lucky girl!
Jodi VDB
I feel the exact same way. When our daughter Avery as admitted to the NICU at 5 days old and contracted an infection she could have died from, it's like my worry increased 100-fold. Everytime she has a fever or a rash, I tend to jump to worst-case scenario. Everytime she sleeps in an hour or two longer than normal, I immediately think "I hope she is breathing in there!" I think that is all part of being a mom, especially a mom that has experienced the loss of a child. I can tell just by reading your blog how much you cherish every minute. It is hard sometimes to remember that God's plan is what is best for us and that worrying won't change anything. Thank you for the reminder.
I was just shown your blog and as a fellow adoptive mom to a beautiful African American girl, I can relate more than you know! Your words sum up my thoughts almost exactly (the love you have for your daughter and the fear). Our daughters seem to have super similar facial expressions and personalities which helps me relate even more! I know every mom loves their children so much but as I've walked this journey I've noticed that the fear comes easier to those of us who the Lord has chosen to take a harder route to get to them. I've trusted Him fairly easily with everything else in my life but this one is tough for me. It's been a process that He is definitely still working out in me. I know He is completely faithful and trustworthy (among other things) but living that is not always easy. Even though we've never met, I will think of you when I'm praying for my own fear and lift you up to Him too.
Post a Comment