3.22.2012

the call

It’s been a year.
1 whole year, since the day that our lives were forever changed
by a phone call.

It’s been a year.
Since God showed us his ultimate faithfulness.
He showed us that he would sustain us.
He would provide for our needs.
… he reminded us that in His time He makes all things new

It’s been a year.
since the deepest desire of our hearts {to be parents} were answered.  
IMG_0481Because of all of the uncertainty that came along with it, I never wrote or shared too much about at the beginning of our adoption process. I was hoping this would be a happily ever after story, but at the time, you just don’t know how it will turn out. Now, as I sit with an almost 10 month old on my lap… I can tell you:
1 year ago today, was the beginning of our fairytale.
IMG_0505March 22, 2011: It was a Tuesday. I had worked that morning, and had every Tuesday afternoon off.  You know how you always think you’re busy, and then you have a baby and you have absolutely no idea what you did with your free time before she came into your life? Yea. This would have been one of those days, except I remember exactly what I did that afternoon.

I got a haircut.
I made dinner.
IMG_0502Wade came home from work, we sat down at the table and started eating. At one point in the meal, I remember smiling at him, and saying “this is just the best day. I don’t know why, it’s just a really good day.” He smiled back, or maybe he laughed at me… and we carried on with our meal.
IMG_0511IMG_0510We went to the gym and worked out together. {Something we do all the time. oh wait, we haven’t done that since that day.} I left my phone in the car. of course. But hey, who am I kidding. The fact that I even took it with me was a bonus. I read You’re Chocolate, I’m Vanilla while I walked on the treadmill, and Wade pumped iron.
Yes. Pumped iron folks. You should see his muscles.  
carrying on… muscles distract me.
As we walked out of the gym, we decided that we would quickly get some groceries.
And then we realized neither of us had any money. or a debit card.
So back home we went. I run in to grab my wallet when the kitchen door flies open. (Remember I left my cell phone in the car)
Wade stands in the door staring at my phone, like he has just seen a ghost.
IMG_0503W- “You have a voice mail from Heidi.(social worker) She said you need to call her right away”

A- ”You don’t think.
I mean.
We just….
Uh.
It’s only been 6 days.
I’m sure she just needs…
It couldn’t be.
Oh my gosh.
I don’t think it’s anything.
I can’t breathe.”

W- “Just call her.”

With shaky hands, I hit dial.
And after what seemed like 10 minutes of small talk
(I’m sure it was about 2 sentences) 
she said,
“I think this is the fastest I’ve ever had this happen, but you have been chosen. A birth mom picked you, and she is going to be having a baby around the first of June. She would like to meet you next week Tuesday.” 
IMG_0484
I stood leaning over the kitchen sink, unable to stand.
Unable to think. Unable to talk.
She asked if I had any questions, but nothing came.  {except the tears of course}
 
The conversation went on for a few more minutes. I was listening on the phone, mouthing what she was telling me to Wade.
We knew very little, but we knew everything we needed to know. 
IMG_0483We had been chosen.  
"Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us, to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all the generations, for ever and ever! Amen." Ephesians 3: 20-21  

…and then we stayed up half the night going to tell our friends and family that we were parents. almost.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your story brought tears to my eyes and goosebumps to my arms. As a birthmom, I've always wondered what it was like when the adoptive parents get that call. Loved reading this!

kelsi said...

You were given a very special gift...that I happen to love soo much. I can't imagine life without her.

Heather said...

i remember that day (well, the night) almost as vividly. larkin leneta, we loved you immediately, and we always will.

TheVanRulers said...

Larkin Laneta we love you! What an amazing day that was~ It's hard to believe it has been a year! It brings me tears all over again!

Anonymous said...

Your stoy is truly a "God Thing"!! He blessed with the most beautiful little girl, Larkin Laneta! Larkin is very blessed with you and Wade as parents. May God bless you in this year ahead! :)